Here's a helpful checklist for moving to ensure you're ready to roll!
Two months before your move
- Contact Central Allied to schedule your FREE in-home estimate.
- Determine who will be doing the packing – you, your moving company or a hybrid of the two. Your moving agent will discuss this with you.
- During your estimate, be sure to show your agent everything that you need moved so your cost estimate is complete. Adding items later can increase the cost of your move.
- Read the documentation provided to ensure you understand the extent of your mover’s liability.
- When you have chosen a mover, sign the estimate/service order.
- It’s time to officially book your move! Lock in your date and confirm your moving plan.
Six weeks before your move
- Update your address with anyone who might need it – post office, insurance companies, credit cards, magazine subscriptions, accountants, physicians, etc.
Five weeks before your move
- Clean out your closets, garage, attic and basement. Hold a garage sale or donate all items you won’t be taking with you.
- Gather vital personal papers (medical and school records, birth certificates, passports, etc.) and consolidate them securely to take with you.
One month before your move
- Check in with your moving agent and let them know if there are any changes in dates or items you’re planning to move.
- Make sure your agent has the correct phone number(s) where you can be reached and the exact destination address.
- If any extra stops along the moving route are required, be sure they are noted.
- If a car, boat, RV or other large equipment is also being moved, now is the time to confirm if you need to get them to a loading site for transport.
Three weeks before your move
- Prepare yourself, your friends and family members. Visit places in the area that everyone loves and, if you’re moving long distance, have a going away party.
- If necessary, reserve hotel rooms and airline tickets for your long distance move.
- If you’re driving to your new destination, be sure your car is ready for the trip.
- Set aside any items you’ll need for your trip so they don’t get packed with other items to go in the moving van.
- Arrange the date to have utilities disconnected in your current location and connected at your new location.
- Prepare your vehicle and insurance records for transfer and notify your state’s motor vehicle bureau of your new address.
- If necessary, reserve the elevator in your apartment building for pickup and/or delivery dates.
- If you are shipping major appliances, contact an authorized technician to come to your location and prepare them to be moved.
- If you’re bringing rugs and draperies, have them cleaned and leave them in their wrapping for easy loading and moving.
- Obtain a written value appraisal of any antique items and do not clean wood furniture before moving (waxes and oils can make wood vulnerable to imprints from furniture pads).
- Do not clean upholstered furniture before moving – dampness and resulting mold while in storage can damage the furniture.
Two weeks before your move
- Time to tie up loose ends – empty your gym locker, return library books, pick up items you’ve previously had in storage, etc.
- If you have pets, make travel plans for them and be sure they have any required health or vaccination certifications. This may mean a trip to the vet.
One week before your move
- Transfer all bank accounts, withdraw items and close safety deposit boxes, if necessary
- Cancel (or transfer) newspaper delivery.
- Have enough medication on hand to last at least two weeks and have prescriptions forwarded to a pharmacy at your new location.
- Make arrangements to pay for your move.
One day before your move
- Set aside valuable items to carry with you including vital documents (including moving contracts), money and small items like jewelry.
- Set aside and clearly mark any fragile items that need special attention. If anything should not be moved or packed, mark items appropriately.
- Label items you want to unpack first when the truck arrives at your new home.
- Unplug all electronic appliances 24 hours in advance of a move so they will be cool on moving day (computers, TVs, stereos, etc.)
- Be there when your goods are loaded then make a final tour of the house to make sure nothing is forgotten, utilities have been disconnected, windows are closed, etc.
- Confirm that the van driver has your contact information and the correct destination address.
- Relax and let the professionals at Central Allied do the rest!
- Be there to accept delivery, if at all possible. If you cannot be present, you must authorize an adult representative to accept delivery.
- Check everything as it’s unloaded and note any change in condition. Direct the crew to place boxes and furnishings in the rooms they belong.
Need More Information?
For more moving tips or to get a quote, contact Central Allied or call 1-800-871-8864 now.